Monday, September 28, 2009

Soup Is On


We just had the most delicious potato/beet soup for lunch. Yesterday, while visiting the Frontier Culture Museum, we were given two bags full of beets. I decided to make soup for lunch, and it was very satisfying. I decided that we will be eating a lot of soup this winter. Travis is thrilled; he loves soup.
Today I based my recipe on one from a book called Vegetarian Soups For All Seasons. I never follow a recipe exactly, but this one was a real winner. There are many other interesting recipes in this book. There is even a section in the back with different breads to accompany the soup(i.e. onion-rye scones, cheesy pepper-corn muffins, etc...)
Of course recipes abound on the Internet, and I am sure you won't have a hard time finding many recipes, even if you never purchase a book. You could also check your local library for soup cookbooks.
There are several merits of serving soup often: it's easy to prepare, most soups are very inexpensive to prepare, and soup feeds a lot of people. There is a reason many Monasteries around the world have soups as their main fare. Go ahead...try your hand at creative soup making. If you find a really stellar recipe, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment