Friday, September 25, 2009

The Thrifty Mom's Credo

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without."~ Old maxim (?)

I first hear Elisabeth Elliot say this on a child-training tape. I really liked it when I heard it then, and I like it now! I have heard it several times since, and I still pause to think about a time gone by when people really used everything to the utmost and threw away nothing(almost to an extreme).
I read a book a couple years ago about a woman growing up in hard times, and she said they didn't need "recycling" because they simply re-used everything! While I don't want to become a pack rat(if I'm not already), saving every coffee can, etc...There are a couple of standbys I think we should bring back into service:

1.The mending basket- When is the last time you've darned a sock? Patched a knee in an old pair of pants? Sometimes I think clothing is so easy to come by these days(thrift stores,yard sales), we toss out clothes that have small holes and tears in them. Maybe we should try to salvage the oldies before we buy "new" goodies. For those of us with children, the mending basket could provide a happy diversion ;)
2.The rag bag- When clothes have move beyond mending, transfer them to the rag bag. This is a bag or box where you keep old clothing to tear into rags. The rags can be used for cleaning, as wipes, or even cloths to drain bacon . I use them in the same way I would use paper towels. Some scraps could even be used to quilt or for other small craft projects.
Thrifting can be a fun hobby! Be creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment